25 October 2008

Mom's Cowboy Caviar


Sorry for the lull in posts - a lot has happened over the last couple of weeks and I haven't been doing much cooking. Cowboy Caviar is a recipe from my mom. It's delicious, and always a big hit at a party. Enjoy....

Cowboy Caviar


Ingredients:
2 cans (15.5 OZ) black beans - drained
2 cans (15.5 OZ) black -eyed peas - drained
2 cans (14.5 OZ) diced tomatoes - drained (or use fresh)
1 cup frozen corn - thawed (optional)
1/2 to 1 cup green onion - finely diced
1 to 2 cups green bell pepper - diced
2 cans (small) jalapeno peppers (mild)
2-3 cans (small) sliced olives (drained)
1-2 avocados - firm - diced (I used 2)
1 cup fresh cilantro - chopped
1/2 tsp. garlic salt (optional)
1-2 cups italian salad dressing - (use 1 cup to toss, then add more if needed before serving)

Directions:
1. Mix all the canned ingredients together
2. Add the garlic salt, cilantro and avocado with the italian dressing
3. Toss to coat
4. Refrigerate at least 20 minutes before serving

**This makes a good amount, but I usually double the recipe because it is good the next day.

3 comments:

anna said...

Cowboy caviar is so good. I miss you!!

Katie said...

this stuff is the best, now I really wish I had some this minute, even though it is like 8am. Congrats on your engagement...Sarah told me. Some how info gets to me down the grapevine a little late, but hey that's ok. I'm sooooo happy for you, and I'm happy you write about cooking :)

Katie said...

Yes that is my favorite, I could eat it by the spoonful.