12 April 2009

easter frog eye salad

i'm not sure why i called this "easter" frog eye salad, other than today is easter, and I made it for easter dinner. this is pretty much a holiday staple around the Campbell household, and one of my all-time favorites. everyone i know has their own adaptation of this famous side dish (actually more of a dessert than side dish), but i got this particular recipe from my new favorite cookbook that my new sister Erin gave me for my birthday - peacocks on my porch {a collection of recipes from the dna cycling widows}. thanks erin! 














frog eye salad
step 1
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups pineapple juice
2 eggs
1 tablespoon butter
1 pkg. acine noodles (i used organic, whole wheat acini noodles - Mmmm...)

in a sauce pan, combine sugar, flour, salt and pineapple juice. heat until thickens. beat eggs in a bowl. add a little bit of the cooked sauce to the eggs and then stir. repeat, adding a little again. (do this so when you add the eggs to the sauce the eggs won't cook and make it lumpy). add egg mixture to sauce. whisk as you pour. add butter. stir as it melts. cook noodles according to package directions. mix together noodles and sauce. let cool.

step 2
2 cans mandarin oranges
1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks
1 small can pineapple crushed
1 large cool whip
1 cup mini marshmallows (i did almost 3!)

add oranges, pineapple, cool whip and marshmallows. mix all together. refrigerate a few hours (although, i feel that it is the BEST the day after).

enjoy. xo.

2 comments:

The Neilson Family said...

It was delicious! Thanks for adding such a tradition to our Easter feast!

Morgan@LittleHouseofVeggies said...

I have Peacocks on my Porch also, LOVE it!